We are down to the final weekend of the regular season (sans a few Thanksgiving games that are still around), and the battle for the top spot in the South Jersey Glory Days/South Jersey Football Frenzy Show Best 11 Rankings is in high gear, as Mainland has been making its case all year but No. 1 Millville just keeps winning. The Thunderbolts, however, have a huge test tonight at No. 4 Cherokee, while the Mustangs travel to former Thanksgiving rival Egg Harbor Township.
Here’s a look at how the rankings are currently shaking out according to show hosts Mark Trible and coach Tim McAneney.
11. Willingboro (6-2): The Chimeras have won five straight, including two shutouts, and have scored at least 20 points in each of those wins.
10. Winslow (6-2): The Eagles didn’t lead a heartbreaking loss against Washington Township ruin their season, as last week they rebounded with a resounding 49-20 win over Burlington Township. Freshman QB Jalen Parker has been electric, throwing for nearly 1,500 yards and 21 TDs.
9. Washington Township (6-2): There was no letdown after the dramatic, last-second win over Winslow, as the Minutemen last week took down Shawnee, 29-22. Sophomore QB Cole Aquino has thrown for nearly 800 yards and 10 touchdowns.
8. Holy Spirit (6-1): Sparty has fought back from its only loss of the season, to St. Augustine Prep on Sept. 22, with consecutive wins over Clearview and Vineland. They come off a bye week facing a tough Kingsway squad tonight.
7. Timber Creek (7-0): One of the last remaining undefeated teams in the state, the Chargers just continue to roll. Last week they beat Williamstown, 20-6, and that was coming off a tough win over Hammonton.
6. Camden (7-1): One of the hottest teams in South Jersey, the Panthers haven’t lost since the season opener, and in the last two weeks they beat a previously undefeated Haddonfield team and walloped Paulsboro, 41-6.
5. Delsea (6-1): The Crusaders are getting hot at the right time, having won five straight since an early September loss to Winslow, and the offense is churning out yards and touchdowns. In three of the past four weeks the Crusaders have scored 40 or more points.
4. Cherokee (6-1): The Chiefs have just one blemish on their record, a 3-0 setback against St. Augustine Prep back in early September. Since then, they’ve ripped off four straight wins, allowing just seven points during that entire stretch.
3. St. Augustine Prep (6-2): The Hermits took one on the chin against Millville in mid-September, but since then have been cruising, winning four straight, including wins over Holy Spirit and Shawnee.
2. Mainland Regional (8-0): It’s not even fair what the Mustangs have been doing to their competition this season. Only Washington Township and Hammonton have held the Stangs to less than 30 points in a game, and the defense has four shutouts and two other games allowing just seven points.
1. Millville (6-1): The Bolts have won six straight since that season-opening loss against Toms River North, and during that stretch only Shawnee has scored more than 12 points against Millville — and the Renegades lost by 24 points. The boys from Holly City face maybe their biggest challenge of the year tonight as they take a long road trip up to No. 4 Cherokee.
ALSO UNDER CONSIDERATION: Haddonfield (6-1), Paul VI (6-1), Atlantic City (6-1).